For Translating and Interpreting Services: call 131 450
Assessing the need for an interpreter
- The need for an interpreter should be determined prior to an appointment, wherever possible
- Assessing how well a person can understand English is the first step in identifying the need for an interpreter.
- Even when customer appears to have adequate proficiency in English, a stressful or unfamiliar situation may affect their ability to communicate effectively.
Engaging an interpreter is recommended if:
- requested by the customer
- the customer cannot comprehend or respond to basic questions in English
- you are experiencing difficulty understanding the customer and they can only respond in a limited way
- the customer relies on family or friends to communicate
- the customer prefers to speak in his/her own language
- the customer speaks English as a second language, and is in a stressful, complex or unfamiliar situation.
Hume’s Account Details With Translating And Interpreting Services: C031755