A Rent Subsidy Application must be accompanied by proof of income for each household member aged 18 years and over.

The documents needed to support your application will depend on your source/s of income. 

The type of evidence must correspond to the type of income and documents must not be more than one month old on the date you are submitted, with the exception of Tax Returns which must not be more than 13 months old.

The table below shows the different types of income and the proof required.

See factsheet attached for more information.


Source of Income 


Proof of Income


If you have not provided customer consent for Hume to access your Centrelink Income details online, you must provide a current Centrelink Income Statement.

If you have provided customer consent for Hume to access your Centrelink income details online, you do not need to provide a Centrelink Income Statement.

Veterans’ Affairs

A General Statement of Pension and a Statement of Income and Assets from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.


Payslips or a letter or statement from the employer detailing gross wage, applicable tax, deductions, pay period, and payee details for salary or wages for previous 12 weeks.

Self Employed

A completed Australian Tax Office Return or a certified profit and loss statement completed by a registered accountant.


A letter from the Superannuation Fund confirming the amount received.

Overseas pension

A letter or statement from an Overseas Government detailing the amount received.

Savings / Investments

A letter from the investment institution providing details of interest or dividend received.


An itemised Centrelink Income Statement.



A letter or statement from WorkCover or Insurance Company detailing the amount received.

Other Income

A letter from another organisation or income provider (not listed above) detailing the amount and type of income received.