Modifications are changes that customers with a disability, or who are ageing, need to make to their home.

You may have a medical condition that requires modifications to your home to make it more accessible and comfortable. 

Minor modifications are small changes.These changes don’t affect the structure of your home.  Minor modifications usually cost less than $2,000.

They might include:

  • adding grip rails
  • putting in a hand-held shower
  • changing taps so they have levers.

For minor modifications, you need a letter from:

  • a doctor, or
  • another health care professional.

The letter needs to explain:

  • your medical condition or disability
  • the changes you need to your home.

The changes to your home need to help you with your medical condition or disability.

Major modifications are large changes. These changes affect the structure of your home, like doorways. Major modifications usually cost between $2,000 and $15,000. 

They might include: 

  • making doorways wider 
  • putting in ramps 
  • changing the kitchen/bathroom/laundry
  • work that needs approval from the local council.

For major modifications, you need a report from an Occupational Therapist (OT).

The report needs to:

  • explain your medical condition or disability
  • explain the changes you need to your home
  • include drawings of the changes with measurements.

If you don’t have an OT, you need to: 

  • talk to your doctor 
  • get a referral – a letter from your doctor that says you need an OT. 


Hume may need to visit your home so we can: 

  • help decide what the options are 
  • figure out who would be the right person to do the work. 


We might need to ask the NSW Government Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) to make major modifications. 

They also might need to visit your home.

We try to get major modifications approved within 28 days.

You will need to complete the Modification Request Form and return it with your supporting medical documents.

Our Technical Officers will review your request and notify you of the outcome in writing.