Social housing is for people on low to moderate incomes who can't afford the rent in the private market. 


Who is eligible?

To be eligible for social housing, you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident
  • live in New South Wales
  • be able to provide ID (i.e. a drivers license or passport)
  • have a household income within set limits
  • not own property that could help you with your housing needs
  • be able to keep paying your rent and looking after your home with or without help
  • usually be at least 18 years old.

Hume does not have a separate waiting list for social housing properties, as all applications are processed through the Housing Pathways system. 


This is the same waiting list used by the Department of Communities and Justice and other community housing providers.

Contact us on 1800 004 300 (free call) to discuss how you can submit an application for social housing and to discuss other housing options available to you.